The First Congregational United Church of Christ of Bellingham is pleased to offer a Health and Healing Scholarship in honor of Debra Kay Pehrson, who served this community as a dedicated nurse. The $2,500 yearly scholarship was established by her mother, Alvie Pehrson, to support individuals in our congregation who have chosen to pursue a career in healthcare.
The four criteria for this award are:
• A close relationship with the First Congregational Church of Bellingham
• Enrolled (or acceptance in) a health-related professional program
• Pursuing advanced education – preferably, a junior or senior in college or beyond
• Evidence of (current and/or previous) successful academic performance.
The application process begins with submission of three required application documents and optional documents to the FCCB church office by June 28:
Documents required for consideration:
• Cover letter addressing the four criteria listed in this announcement.
• Evidence of enrollment (or acceptance) in health-related education.
• Evidence of previous or current successful academic performance (unofficial transcript and/ or descriptive faculty letters.)
Optional documents (not required to be considered for the scholarship): resume, two professional references
The dates for acceptance of applications are: Monday, June 3-Friday, June 28, 2019.
The Board of Trustees appointed Faith Community Nurse Brenda Nicholson, Stephen Leader Kathleen McGuinness, and Health Minister Carol Nicolay to select this year’s scholarship recipient.
In the judgement of the selection committee, the applicant who best meets the criteria will be awarded the scholarship. If no applicant meets the four criteria completely, no award will be made. The announcement of the scholarship winner will be made on or before July 10, 2019.